- You were warned that it was filthy – AIB’s Celebrity Roast was vulgar, offensive, crude, crass, sophomoric, disgusting, not terribly original (the West has a long tradition of similar shows). It was filled with racial slurs, fat jokes and gay insults. It was also very funny and entertaining.
- Predictably, the show was found to be offensive and abusive and a criminal complaint in this connection was filed. Akhilesh Tiwari, President, Brahman Ekta Seva Sanstha, Mumbai thought that inappropriate language was used and this “blemished Indian culture and women.”
- Maharashtra’s Minister for Cultural Affairs Vinod Tawde is also of the view that “Such vulgarity is a crime and based on facts which will emerge, the government will file a case against them,”. He told media representatives that an FIR would be lodged against the makers of the show as they have performed without license. (NDTV )
- The minister clarified that this was not moral policing; that the probe was to be only about appropriate certificates. (source)
- Predictably, #AIBRoast is trending on Twitter – here are some of the best tweets in support of AIB Knockout – The Roast of Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh –
Usual suspects riled up about #AIBRoast. “We do it, it’s called abuse. They do it, roast. Why?” Consent, you repressed idiots. Consent.
— Utsav Chakraborty (@SatanBhagat) January 30, 2015
— Twinkle Khanna (@mrsfunnybones) January 30, 2015
A group of 2 people or a group of 4000 people abusing each other to make fun….what govt want 2 investigate in this? #AIBRoast
— DeEpAk SiNgH!! (@deepaksingh83) February 2, 2015
A country which enjoys stand up artists like Russel Peters and watch movies like Grand Masti have an issue with #AIBRoast.Give me a break!
— Akriti Mattu (@chuckles_01) February 2, 2015
When you simultaneously piss off Salman Khan and religious nuts, you must be doing something right. #AIBRoast
— Utsav Chakraborty (@SatanBhagat) February 2, 2015
— Wildcard Vidyut (@Vidyut) February 2, 2015
— Madhavan Narayanan (@madversity) February 2, 2015
— Anuya J (@effyourstylist) February 2, 2015