Is Delhi Heading For a J&K type Situation and Governors Rule?
- The radio in Delhi is monotonously repetitive these days – Arvind Kejriwal’s dulcet tones constantly inveigle the citizenry for a “few seats more”. And yet the AAP forming the next government in Delhi seems unlikely in the extreme. Let us examine why.
- One of the key members of the India Against Corruption movement Kiran Bedi, has parted ways with Arvind Kejriwal and has now joined the BJP. There are even murmurs that she may be the BJP’s Chief Ministerial candidate for Delhi. In fact she had announced her willingness for the job as far back as May 2014.
- Shazia Ilmi is another famous name to leave the AAP in favour of joining the resurgent BJP, because she is “inspired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi” and because the party stands for “change and development”. Though she has been at pains to inform the electorate that she is not to enter the poll fray, she is now a part of the BJP. (Source – The Hindu).
- Apart from Kejriwal, none of the other AAP leaders have the kind of charisma or the following that that the National Convener of the Aam Aadmi Party has.
- Yogendra Yadav, is not much seen or heard of. Apart from making digs at Kiran Bedi for joining the BJP, he is all too silent given that this is poll season. Besides, this soft spoken, articulate AAP member has never enjoyed the kind of mass support that other members have. Another well known AAP member, Kumar Vishwas seems similarly occupied with Bedi bashing.
- Prashant Bhushan is another AAP voice we don’t much hear of these days. Though he is part of the party’s National Executive he seems more engaged with the coal allocation scam and in going after the CBI and its ex chief than with the upcoming elections.
- Kejriwal seems to be lone warrior holding fort for the AAP and it seems most unlikely that anyone will emerge with a clear majority in Delhi yet again.
- Is this a deliberate ploy of the BJP? Is it in their interest that no party should form the government in Delhi and that Governor’s rule be imposed yet again? Is the BJP deliberately permitting a Jammu & Kashmir like situation to form in Delhi as well? Is the BJP hoping to rule by proxy in Delhi? The way it is in J&K?