- National Security Guards (NSG) is supposedly the outfit with particular specialization for counter-terrorist operations. How does NSG keep itself abreast of the latest techniques, strategies, trainings, weaponry and devices at global level?
NSG is headed by the director-general, who comes from the IPS. The average tenure of all the director-generals of NSG has been just over a year. None of these director-generals heading the NSG & coming from the IPS have ever been a part of any action group of the NSG. Are such heads of the NSG the right persons to lead premier counter-terrorist outfits then?
- By all evidence, counter-terrorist operations are highly specialized tasks. Shouldn’t the head of the National Security Guard be a person specializing in counter-terrorist operations with some reasonable degree of devoted tenure?
- A Major General from the Army – with the rank of inspector general in the NSG – has the charge of training in NSG and another Major General – again with the rank of inspector general in NSG – has the charge of operations. These officers are on deputation from the Army. What mechanisms are there to ensure that they are specialist in counter-terrorist operations and are abreast of the latest at global level regarding the same?
- The National Security Advisor (NSA) is traditionally from the Indian Foreign Service; though the present one is from Indian police service. Given the highly specialized nature of counter-terrorist operations; is the NSA then equipped to deal with & handle adequately counter terrorist operations?
- Given arguably the number one threat that terrorism poses to India today; shouldn’t the entity of national security adviser be devised in such a way so as to enable it to have the best of counter-terrorism specialists/strategists at its ready service?
- Shouldn’t each defense installation be defended by units specializing in counter-terrorist operations in a manner that such specialization is abreast of the latest technologies and developments at global level regarding the same?
- Shouldn’t each premier city have adequate number of units specializing in counter-terrorist operations in a manner that such specialization is abreast of the latest strategies and technologies at global level?
- Given arguably the number one threat that terrorism poses to India today; is there an adequately equipped national study and research Centre on counter-terrorist operations?
By Sanjay Kumar Singh in indiaopines blogs
Author also blogs here
Also see this author’s other posts here
Image Source: 12