- A recent case of India’s top newspaper Times of India making a news story out of Deepika Padukone’s cleavage revealing clothing has not gone down well with the actor. It has also invited sharp criticism from the media as well as other netizens, particularly on social networking sites such as Twitter.
- A shot of the actor taken from a rather lascivious angle has been published by the publication and has been tweeted as well. The tweet reportedly said, “OMG: Deepika Padukone’s cleavage show“. To this, Deepika’s response was – “”YES! I am a Woman. I have breasts AND a cleavage! You got a problem!!??”
- The response of the publication to Deepika’s tweet added insult to injury: “It’s a compliment! You look so great that we want to make sure everyone knew! 🙂” (source – NDTV). The silly response did nothing to mollify either the star or her supporters.
- The Finding Fanny star angry response anger was echoed by the movie’s official Twitter page, which tweeted: “Dont talk about Woman’s Empowerment when YOU don’t know how to RESPECT Women!” (Source – NDTV)
- Clearly, there is much ire among the people at something like this – which is so inconsequential at best and prurient and disrespectful at worst that is being passed off as ‘news’.
- There has been an avalanche of support for the cine star – the Twitter hashtag – #IStandWithDeepikaPadukone is currently trending, with the tweets largely supportive of Deepika.
- The Twitterati are calling the ethics of journalism into question, and standing up in support of Deepika; both celebs and general junta. TOI has not taken down the tweet as well as the story after the storm of protest that it provoked (Source – DNA)
- Some of the top tweets from in support of Deepika have been:
Complimenting a lady is a grace reserved for gentlemen! I stand on a tall tall chair and applaud you – Boman Irani
As an actor who is also a martial artist, sometimes felt like kicking them but…No better KICK than this Deepika. BRAVO…- Neetu Chandra
Seriously ballsy of @deepikapadukone to take on the media and call them out on their hypocrisy!! Our silence is always taken for granted! – Alia Bhat
Respect to @deepikapadukone for standing up to this vulgar ‘news’ and standing up for her being a woman and not being apologetic about it! – Anushka Sharma
Journos have a responsibility when they report. This was one of the dumbest & most irresponsible moves! #respect @deepikapadukone – Shraddha Kapoor
@deepikapadukone #RespectWomen More power to u !!! Bullshit journalism !! – Kiku Sharda
Appalled….shocked and disgusted at the level of disrespect shown. Deepika or any women in the world cannot and should not stand for this!! – Karan Johar
I just read… about @deepikapadukone retort to cheap sensational journalism, well done girl – Arjun Rampal
Image source #IStandWithDeepikaPadukone on Twitter