The second grand slam of the year also was intended for the top-notch Sania Mirza, preceded by her victory in women’s doubles US Open title in New York as well.
10 facts you ought to know about this wizard of tennis:
1. Wimbledon (2015 – Doubles), US Open (2014 – Mixed doubles), US Open (2015 – doubles), French Open (2012 – Mixed doubles) and Australian Open (2009 – Mixed doubles), she possesses grand slams in all that are afore mentioned.
3. Sania Mirza grabbed her first women’s doubles Major title 12 years after being professional in the corresponding field.
4. A mere 16-year-old Sania, 12 years back in 2003, became the first Indian girl to win a Grand Slam when she accomplished in the doubles’ event at Wimbledon, along with Alisa Kleybanova of Russia.
5. A quantum of 14 medals adorned her neck, inclusive of 6 golds, at three major multi-sport events, namely the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games and the Afro-Asian Games.
6. The highest ranked female player ever from India, reaching World No. 27 in singles in 2007 is Sania Mirza. But a major wrist injury forced her to quit her singles career and engage in doubles circuit.
7. Arjuna award in 2004, while in 2006, a Padma Shri award were under her belt.
8. Sania Mirza is the first South Asian Woman to be appointed as a Goodwill Ambassador of UN Women, in the organization’s history, for South Asia.
By Prerna Daga