Arnab Goswami Initiated the Trending HashTag #CrushTheFringe – What about the #ComicalFringe?
- India is resplendent with Fringe elements of all sorts and none of those elements are perhaps any more amazing, entertaining and stupefying than Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insan. The convoluted, all inclusive name, the bizarre outfits, the upcoming movie, the sheer over-the-topness of the man – truly this is a case yet another Indian fringe element: #ComicalFringe.
- He is also known as Rockstar Baba; with good reason. He has invented a whole new genre of music: he has composed, written and performed “Religious Rock” songs; one famous rendition being Love Charger – that really is a song by the “social reformer, preacher, spiritual leader”. Thank U for that, Network Tere Love Ka, Chashma Yaar Ka, Insan, Lov Rabb Se and Highway Love Charger, all “religious rock music albums” of his. If you are still incredulous, you can scroll down and view the video below.
- One may question the musical and compositional merit of the songs, but full marks for the rockstar ambiance created, the presentation, the absolutely psychedelic stage setting, the vast numbers gathered to watch the “show”. As of the man’s various get-ups, they completely defy classification!
- Check these stats: Highway Love Charger, which released in April of last year sold almost three million copies in three days and has seen around 1.37 million views on YouTube!
- He is also now a “Filmstar Baba”. He is now widely seen on film posters in one of his inexplicable outfits, astride an orange motorcycle. He (and his motorcycle) have a halo and are seen to be riding through a fiery sky.
- There may be many looking forward to the movie MSG (Messenger of God) for various reasons; the truly compelling one being that this movie is most certainly a first of its kind. Its worldwide release on January 16, 2015 in Tamil, Telugu, English and Hindi may be controversial for several reasons, but the breathtaking audacity of the man and his film have to be acknowledged.
- The film supposedly deals with youth-related issues like drug abuse, alcoholism; but really is anyone listening? We are all too busy watching in disbelieving fascination at the film: it features 7 songs, very filmi style fights (including that peculiar clenching of fists and simultaneous cracking of knuckles that Bollywood is currently so fond of), much grandstanding and dialogue-baazi that seem penned by second or third rung Bollywood writers and even a heartwarming national flag moment.
- With all the many, many fringe elements that we Indians have to deal with, you could say that Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh & the Dera Sacha Sauda is one of the most entertaining!
- One may suggest #ComicalFringe to Arnab Goswami. It is sure to get a better response than #CrushTheFringe; a hashtag that came a bit of a cropper and earned the man and his channel a bit of a backlash too.
Video & Images– Courtesy Meet AV Productions