“I like my house to be unique to me. Sure, I’ve bought plenty of things out of a catalog, but the way I put them together in my home is special. You might have bought your sofa at a major home decorating store, but the rug you found at the flea market is so unique, it takes your room from ‘carbon copy’ to ‘simply yours’ in no time.” – Nate Berkus.
Your space around you makes you the person you are. Your simplicity or your wilderness is represented in the space you call yours. The colors, the shapes and the patterns make objects into beautiful things. And these beautiful things you choose carefully according to your individual taste.
We all love to have our house look beguiling to our guests, but only if you master the art the home décor, you can receive the well-deserved accolades. Having done my house recently, I believe there are few things everyone should keep in mind while doing a decorum or renovation.
1. Your cushions are an important part of your room. Make sure apart from your daily pillows, you have few colorful cushions with interesting patterns, which make the bed look pretty. Don’t overdo the cushions or you will have to throw all of them on the floor to create some space for yourself.
2. Get rid of your old and unnecessary items that still exist in your room and hold no value for you. Fewer items in the room create more space to breathe and build a healthy and positive atmosphere. I would suggest buying more personalized items like photo frames so that you have an attachment element to your living spaces.
3. Simplicity is a timeless tale and whether your taste is contemporary, modern or classical, being simple in your taste will never go out of fashion. A little drama in your surroundings is good to add some creative element, but not if it gets hard to digest. Rugs, carpets and mats should look comfortable and classic not dramatic and jazzy.
4. Lamps are one of the classiest décor items. Light effects are best created with the help of enthralling lampshades. Use more lamps with interesting lampshades than putting extra lights on the walls. Look for interesting lamps with creative bottoms, which act as fascinating show pieces. Some statement lamps make a huge difference in the outlook of the room.
5. Curtains can make it or break it. Its best to go for plain colors with self-design. Too many patterns and prints can obstruct with the color scheme of your furniture and the room color. If you change your furniture or your wall paint, your curtains would need a change. So, it is wise to stick to the classic ones.
6. Mirrors are something you can play around with. Etched mirrors are a great trend and you can replace your current mirrors with some designer mirrors, which also make unique artifacts. Venetian mirrors are quite popular and make a statement. You can also get customized etching done on the mirrors like getting a logo imprinted or a pattern on the mirror, which goes with your room décor.
By: Vidhi Sagar