The second episode of Season 4 of Koffee with Karan (runs – Sunday, 9 pm on Star World) aired yesterday on Star World; 8 December 2013. The show featured Kareena Kapoor Khan and Ranbir Kapoor this last weekend and this was the first time that the cousins were seen doing an interview together.
Koffee with Karan – Kareena Kapoor Khan-Ranbir Kapoor Episode
She was introduced among other things as the Begum of Bollywood. Kareena Kapoor Khan who is a regular on the show was seen dressed in a glamorous hot pink gown. Ranbir Kapoor was introduced second and was seen dressed almost exactly the same as his host Karan Kapoor. The whole episode was imbued with a sense of a fourth presence – the number of times that Katrina Kaif as mentioned, discussed, and spoken about, she was an implied presence. Though Ranbir steadfastly refused to deny or confirm a relationship with Kaif, his cousin mentioned their dating many times and even spoke about dancing at their wedding.
Kareena Kapoor Khan (the ‘kh’ from the epiglottis as pointed out by her cousin) was very much the diva; the prima donna – she was confident and not exactly self effacing. But then Kareena Kapoor is known to have a fairly good opinion of herself. Ranbir came across as quite likeable, composed, intelligent and rather suave – the way he skillfully dodged the questions he did not want to answer was quite interesting to watch.
Highlights of the Kareena Kapoor Khan – Ranbir Kapoor Episode
- Kareena Kapoor said that there was no self policing about her work after her marriage as such, but avered that her husband Saif would not be doing any more kissing on screen
- Ranbir spoke about childhood memories of playing with his cousins Karisma and Kareena Kapoor and his sister Ridhhima at their dadi’s house and gave reasons why this was disturbing
- Repeatedly he chose to neither confirm nor deny a relationship with Katrina Kaif even with Kareena offering to dance to a medley of Katrina Kaif numbers at his wedding. Saif wouldn’t dance at wedding though – “he’s a Nawab” said Ranbir. One wonders where that dig was directed.
- According to Ranbir, Kareena likes only those co-stars who are either 10 or more years older than her or those who are just born
- According to Karan Johar, his guests are like the I&B ministry – Kareena has the information and Ranbir is the broadcaster.
- According to Kareena an alternative career for Katrina would be an air hostess, Sonakshi Sinha would make a housewife, Sonam would make a fashion designer and Deepika Padukone would make a good pilot.
- Kareena cannot imagine being married to anyone other than Saif – she loves being in love
- The discussion about the famous Sonam-Deepika episode in the last season of the show was tactfully brushed aside by Ranbir Kapoor
- A meal at the Kapoor dining table is all drama – it’s a tennis match and everything comes back to movies. There’s arguing and yelling, a little like an Italian Mafia family
Ranbir Kapoor was adjudged the winner of the rapid fire round and his answers were in fact cleverer and more enjoyable. This episode of KWK had one extra round at the end. Both the guests were handed buzzers and then were quizzed about the Kapoor family with regard to movie trivia. This was actually quite a fun round; quite a few laugh out loud moments there. There were extra prizes for this and this round was won by Ranbir as well. Kareena claimed to be in a huff about not winning, saying she did not want the consolation prize. She added in jest that she was never coming on the show again. This episode of the show was very much in keeping with the the tenor of the show – funny, irreverent, urbane and enjoyable.
Next week’s episode will feature another first: Aamir Khan along with wife Kiran will feature in the next episode of the show. Watch this space.
By – Reena Daruwalla
Video courtesy the Star World India Official YouTube Channel