Two of the most successful leading ladies from Bollywood – Juhi Chawla and Madhuri Dixit-Nene graced Karan Johar’s infamous couch in last night’s episode of Koffee With Karan – this was episode 13 of Season 4 that aired on 23 February 2014. The two actors will soon be seen in the film Gulaab Gang, this was probably the main reason why the two women were seen together on this couch or indeed anywhere.
While it was nice to see the two actors together, particularly if one has been a fan of the two leading ladies during the 80’s and 90’s, the two seemed rather formal and ill at ease. There was a certain reserve for sure, the body language was never very friendly and neither seemed too comfortable all through the show, sitting rather stiffly on the couch. Juhi seemed self effacing and almost hesitant in parts, whereas Madhuri very much came across as the Diva.
Koffee with Karan – Juhi Chawla, Madhuri Dixit (Highlights of Episode 13, Season 4)
- According to Karan Johar, it took 8 years for him to get Juhi on the couch whereas according to Juhi she was never invited
- According to Juhi there are some things that she has regretted – she admitted that at one point she let the success go to her head.
- There are times now when she looks back and says to herself what was I thinking!
- During an episode on the sets of their film Ishq, Juhi had a tiff with her co-star Aamir Khan and because of this the two did not speak for several years; both thinking that the other was angry at them
- When asked what her equation with Salman Khan is, Juhi replied that they never did a film together and they don’t really know each other – there have been times when he has looked through her
- Juhi is cordial and polite with other actresses, but not really friendly
- According to K Jo Madhuri is the sensuous one and Juhi is the sweet one. Though Madhuri has managed to pull of ‘sweet’ Juhi said that she never could manage the ‘sensuous’ tag
- Juhi said that there have been movies of Sridevi where she has been fabulous in every frame
- Juhi did not do Dil to Pagal Hai because she did not want to play second fiddle to Madhuri’s character and she regretted it
- Karan pointed out that both women went on to marry men outside the film fraternity – Madhuri said it was because she did not find any one suitable in the fraternity, Juhi said she was wooed into marrying industrialist Jay Mehta
- Both women agreed that things are much more processional now – during their time, there were no contracts, no script and not even a proper story
- Both ladies couldn’t answer when asked who Ranveer Singh was dating, but both knew who Ranbir Kapoor is dating
- There was an interesting montage when the young leading men such as Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor, Siddharth Malhotra and Imran Khan spoke about the two stars. According to Imran Khan he had proposed to Juhi, she had accepted his ring and he now wants it back
- Ranveer Singh did a rather flamboyant rendition of the ‘Dhak Dhak’ dance for Madhuri and the ‘Ghooghat ki aad se’ song for Juhi
- If these ladies were hit upon by younger men, they would both respond by being flattered, but by telling the boys to stop wasting everyone’s time
- According to Madhuri, the one thing that she has which Juhi doesn’t is the dance.
- According to Juhi the one thing that Madhuri has that she doesn’t is an American accent
- Juhi won the Rapid Fire Round, but it was Madhuri who won the Koffee Quiz round
And for those of you who missed it, there is the Koffee With Karan episode featuring Abhishek Bachchan and Farah Khan:
By – Reena Daruwalla