Narendra Modi – In Summary
Full Name : Narendra Dāmodardās Modī
Date and Place of Birth : September 17, 1950 | Vadanagar (In 1950, it was in what was the Bombay State), Gujarat, India
Father: Damodardas Mulchand Modi
Siblings: 5 (Narendra Modi is the third of 6)
Education: Master’s in Political Science from Gujarat University.
- Chief Minister (CM) of Gujarat
- Ran a tea-stall with his brother around a bus terminus in Gujarat.
- Worked as a RSS pracharak in the Kangra region, Himachal Pradesh.
- Played important roles in the 1974 anti-corruption agitation, Navnirman and during Emergency (1975 to 1977).
- Was a part of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) – a student organisation (also was an organiser)
- 1987: Joined the Bharatiya Janata Party (worked in the Gujarat unit)
- 1988: Appointed General Secretary of the Gujarat unit.
- 1995: National Secretary of BJP in-charge of 5 major states
- Late 1990s to 2001: General Secretary of BJP (was also national spokesperson of the party in late 1990s)
- 2001 to current: Appointed Chief Minister of Gujarat in 2001 when the then CM, Keshubhai Patel resigned. Is the longest serving CM in Gujarat. Has been re-elected to the post 4 times.
- March 2013: Appointed as a member of the BJP Parliamentary Board (BJP’s highest decision-making body) and as a member of BJP’s Central Election Committee
- A key strategist for the successful BJP 1995 and 1998 Gujarat state elections
- Resigned as CM after 2002 violence in Gujarat. Was voted back in elections held in the same year (won 127 of 182 seats)
- Credited with significant decrease in corruption in Gujarat and making it an attractive investment destination
- Attracted 6.6 lakh crore real estate investment in Gujarat in the 2007 Vibrant Gujarat summit
- Is a poet
- In March 2012, TIME magazine put Modi on their cover and described his leadership as “strong and business-like”
Narendra Damodardas Modi is the serving chief minister of the Indian state of Gujarat and has remained the chief minister of the state since 2001 and is a member of the BJP as well as the RSS. He started off as the interim chief minister of the state following the resignation of Keshubhai Patel in 2011 and since then he has remained in office till date. His reign was intitially tarnished by the infamous communal riots in Gujarat in 2002 but since then he has been hailed as a champion of developmental politics as a result of which the state is now regarded as one of the most developed in the country.
Narendra Modi was born on 17th of September in the year 1950 and has 5 other siblings. His family had a grocery store in a village called Vadnagar in Mehsana district in Gujarat. During his school days Modi worked in the canteen of the Gujrat Sate Road Transport Corporation where came into contact with the representatives of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh and by the time he was in university he was a fully fledged member of the RSS. Modi holds a master’s degree in Political Science from Gujarat University.
Although there was far reaching controversy during the elections in 2002 due to the Gujarat riots, the BJP were successful in winning the elections and from then on Modi has remained in power in Gujarat. The highlight of his reign in Gujarat has been the industry friendly policies that the state has adopted in order to encourage more and more Indian and global corporations to come to the state in order to set up their businesses and factories. Modi’s most recent term i.e the third term has been more concentrated on developing the agricultural production of the state of Gujarat which was never really a state that was known in that sector and in that regard the situation has improved with higher produce recorded for many crops.
As the general elections approaches in 2014, Modi has been looked upon as a possible prime ministerial candidate for his party- the BJP. Although it has not been announced yet, Modi has been inducted into the BJP’s Parliamentary Board which is one of the most high profile groups in the party and is responsible for charting the strategy of the party during the elections. Along with that, he has also been made a part of the party’s Central Election Committee.
Rahul Gandhi Biography