Remember Qandeel Baloch, the one who openly expressed her wish to strip for Team Pakistan if they win against India in the World Cup? Well, the controversial Pakistan model has been brutally murdered.
Shockingly, she was killed by her own brother who had been threatening her over her Facebook videos and statuses. Outrageously, Pakistan’s first social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch is the latest victim in this spate of Honour killings.
Qandeel Baloch Murdered
Baloch, 26, recently caused storm when she posted controversial pictures of herself on social media, including one alongside a Muslim cleric. The police reports state that she was strangled to death as opposed to murdered by her brother. The body was also sent to examine the corpse to prepare an autopsy report.
There are several cases of women being killed for ‘dishonoring’ their family in Pakistan but this news has shocked everybody.
According to reports, Baloch had written to the Director general of Federal Investigation Authority and the senior superintendent of Islamabad requesting for security. She had requested action against those who had made her identification documents public on social media. The reports further states that she had written “I need security form you”
Ms Baloch’s parents told The Express Tribune that she was strangled to death on Friday night following an argument with her brother. They said her body was not discovered until Saturday morning. Her parents have been taken into custody, the Tribune reported. According to the police, Ms Baloch had gone to Punjab from Karachi because of the threat to her security. Also, her brothers had asked her to quit modelling,” family sources quoted by the Tribune said.
Sources quoted by the newspaper said that Qandeel’s brother Wasim was upset about her uploading controversial pictures online and had threatened her about it. Police said he had not been arrested and was on the run.
‘No woman is safe’ in Pakistan
Ms Baloch’s murder was condemned by filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, whose documentary A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness won an Oscar earlier this year.
“I really feel that no woman is safe in this country, until we start making examples of people, until we start sending men who kill women to jail, unless we literally say there will be no more killing and those who dare will spend the rest of their lives behind bars,” she told the AFP news agency.
For all those who don’t know this social media celebrity, here are few facts about her:
- Qandeel Baloch shot to fame in 2014 for posting bold, raunchy, photographs, and videos
- She was also a part of a music video titled ‘Ban’ opposite Aryan Khan which talked about her as the controversial social media personality of Pakistan.
- This Pakistani model was married once and even had a son at some point.
- Qandeel had released a bold video in March during the World cup stating that she would do a strip dance for the Pakistani team if they won the match against India.
- Although Team Pakistan lost the match against India, the sensation stripped for Team India and even posted a heart-felt message for India’s Virat Kohli.
- Recently Qandeel Baloch was also rumored to be finalized as one of the contestants for Colors TV Big Boss 10
- Despite All the controversies, Qandeel’s bold videos have garnered at least 8 lakh views.
- Often the model has been compared to Indian’s Internet sensation Poonam Pandey because of the similarities between the two.
- Source 1 Source 2 Source 3