The “Swachh Bharat Abhiyan” – rolled out by the Honorable Prime Minister of India– seems to have been gaining momentum. The ‘dedication’ towards this movement is so much that even a 10-year-old kid isn’t being spared from being dragged into it.
- According to a report by Times Now, a 10-year-old boy was forced to sweep the floor of Firozabad police-station instead of his father, who didn’t turn up. While the original gesture initiated by Mr.Modis appreciable, these rendipitous act of the cops is shameful.The policedenied knowingofany such incidentand convenientlypassedthe blame to the guard. They must have come in late for not knowing what goes around their own police-station.
- The child did not give the impression that it was his first time doing it. When asked why he wasn’t at school instead, he gave no reply. If he had been ingrained with the importance, he wouldn’t have been sweeping in the first place.
- This puts a huge question mark on the integrity of the cops. They are supposed to withhold the law not break it. Surely, this isn’t the first time such negligence has been practiced by the uniformed upholders of justice.
- From their massive bellies to fat wads of cash they scurry out of people, they haven’t set quite a just example for people to believe in them.
- Their snide remarks over women and their security, their callousness towards helping the poor, their lack of empathy towards those suffering, the corruption, the insensitivity,fake encounters – all of them puts a question mark over their credibility.
- How they are being trained and what values they hold reflects the crass mentality of the society itself. After all, police are ‘integral’ part of it.
- Not every cop turns a blind eye towards criminals and crime. However, their number is alarmingly decreasing. It doesn’t help that they are being turned into mere accessories by the honorable ministers.
- The lawlessness of Indian police force is not limited to individual incidents like this. Time and again they have proved that they are not to be trusted. You may as well get a fairer deal from the criminals than them.
By: Parmita Dubey