- 5 Tamilian fishermen are currently in the headlines for having been handed out a death sentence by Sri Lankan authorities. This is the hot button topic that was discussed yelled about in a mud slanging match on the Times Now Newshour debate last night.
- It is alleged that these 5 men were trafficking drugs in the guise of fishing. India’s High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Tuesday (Nov. 4) met the five Indian fishermen, who have been sentenced to death by a court here for alleged drug trafficking, and assured them of “unstinted support” by the government to secure their early release and repatriation.
- The debate in question featured TIMES NOW’s Editor-in-Chief Arnab Goswami, panelists — Dr Subramanian Swamy, Sr Leader, BJP; Sumanth C Raman, Political Analyst; Raj Shekar, Advocate; Dr. E.M. Sudarsana Natchiappan, MP, Rajya Sabha, Congress
- While it came as no surprise that the ‘debate’ featured some high decibel arguments, it surpassed other previous such debates in the sheer vociferousness of the participants. The combative host Arnab Goswami accused Mr. Subramanian Swamy of not doing what was required for the release of the 5 fishermen, of not using his good offices with Mr. Mahinda Rajapaksa to secure their release
- Mr Swamy is not known to mince his words, but this time, he seemed to fly off the handle completely, when asked “why do you choose to be against the majority of the Tamil people” and proceeded to address some rather colourful epithets at Arnab Goswami. At various points of the interview, he called repeatedly called Goswami an “ignoramus”, also telling him “don’t be stupid” (about 5 to 6 times and then 4 to 5 more times later), “Where is the letter you liar?” Mr. Swamy thundered at the TV show host also remarking that “I think you are mentally retarded”
- #IsSwamyRight, a topic trending on Twitter with people coming out in support of Mr. Swamy or lampooning him as the Twiterati are wont to do. Here are some choice tweets:
— Vijai_BJP (@vijairaghavan) November 4, 2014
— rajeev kumar (@rkbpillai) November 4, 2014